On Sprint and need a hack for priority on Alltel's EvDO towers
******This helpful tip come from Endersama*******
This thread has been updates for patch 1.4.1
HOW TO: get fully-functional EVDO without sprint 3g towers.
Changes: Unlocking ##usbpass# now requires a different passcode. A link has been provided to generate this. Also, I posted a link to a different PRL which fixes the "Searching/Can Not Connect" issues that started with v1.4
**I take no responsibility for any damage you do to your phone. Messing this up will brick it**
Let me repeat that...
I am in NO WAY RESPONSIBLE for any damage this walkthrough may cause to your phone. This is posted for educational purposes only. QPST is a VERY VERY powerful program, and one typo could cause permanent pre-damage. As in... pre doctor won't fix it.
QPST 2.7 Build 323 updated link. haven't tested it yet.
Beezle's DIAG Drivers
Alltel's 40057 PRL provided by forkup at the-answerman.com
Palm Pre USBPASSthrough keygen
---SET PHONE TO Hybrid Rev A if you've changed it (##3836# in phone app)
1. Go to your local sprint store and ask for your master subsidy lock (MSL)
Note: I've gone to both the sprint store and called *1 to get MSL for the pre. Both places always say they aren't supposed to give it out but never gave me any hassle for getting it. If they ask what it's for just tell them it's so you can get EVDO
2. Install "QPST 2.7 build 323" AT YOUR OWN RISK
3. Extract and open the usb passthrough Keygen [link above]. In your palm pre go to "Device Info" to find you Serial Number, and type that into the Keygen-> hit ok. That 5 number code will be used in the next step.
note: your serial number is CASE SENSITIVE when using this keygen, so make sure your letters are capitalized.
3. On pre, open phone app and type ##8727277# (##usbpass#). The first time you go here you will need to enter the passthrough code generated in the previous step. Set "USB PORT 1" to "Diag" (enter your MSL when prompted)
note: if you can't click OK after entering the code, make sure you entered your s/n in correctly in the keygen.
4. Connect to your PC via your usb cord.
5. Open "qcmdm.inf" in a text editor (notepad) and change the "%PreModem%" (under [Models]) from Rev_0216 to Rev_0316. Save the file and close.
6. Open "qcser.inf" in a text editor and change the "%PreDiag01%" (under [QcomSerialPort]) from Rev_0216 to Rev_0316. Save the file and close.
7. Open device manager>select unidentified "Generic Serial" device and update driver (install from specific location).
8. Then, select unidentified "Reduced CDC" device and update driver (install from specific location).
Launch QPST Configuration. Under Ports Tab select "Add New port". Uncheck "Show serial and usb" option. Select your phone and add it!
9. ((maybe optional, i haven't tested w/o yet)) Open the PRL with QPST Roaming List editor>> Set to "Preferred Only">> Save and Close.
10. Launch Service Programming (part of QPST)
11. Under "Select an Active Phone" Choose the SURF6800-65 (your pre).
12. Click "READ FROM PHONE" and enter in your MSL when prompted.
13. Select "Roam" tab>> Click Browse underneath "Preferred Roaming">> Select the 40051.prl file >> Click "WRITE TO PHONE"
note-- If you get an error saying something about reading device, close out all qpst programs then start "Service Programming" again and retry
14. Back in the phone app retype ##usbpass# and set "USB PORT 1" back to off.
You're Done! Your phone will now put priority on Alltel's EvDO towers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Menace187 For This Useful Post:
Does this still work with sprint evdo as well or do you only get alltell service?
you would prioritize altell over sprint if you was to do this. something like this would mostly get used for rural areas where you sprint coverage may not be so good, but you know verizon (altel) is. but you will still get sprint as secondary.
Sounds Risky... Not sure if it would be worth it
I was in an area that had these issues recently, I wish I had seen this post before then
Tags for this Thread